Finally, spring is in full swing and that means it’s time to put those reusable bags to good use at your local farmer’s market. For those of you lucky enough to have year round farmer’s markets, perhaps you can use this new season to challenge yourself by trying new – or under used – types of produce. As creatures of habit, we tend to buy the same foods and cook similar dishes at home. Using seasonal produce stretches us a bit more, requesting some creativity and fun be re-introduced in the kitchen.
What’s in season in spring? Look no further than this guide from the Produce for Better Health Foundation.
We’ve recently shared several ideas for enjoying spring produce – asparagus, radishes, and rhubarb. Here are five other easy ways to get more produce in your diet:
– Corn – grill corn on the cob, cut off the kernels and add to your green salad or use in an upcoming Cinco de Mayo dish
– Sugar snap peas – pair with dip for the afternoon slump time snack
– Swiss Chard – add to mac & cheese or other pasta dish
– Honeydew – stack with mango and pineapple on skewers for a fruit kebab
– Strawberries – serve sliced over vanilla ice cream of course
What are you cooking with this spring? Have you challenged yourself using new ingredients found at the farm market?
How Stacey Got the Shot: Eggplant is in season in the summer, and this was shot at a Philadelphia farm market last year on Fuji Superia color film.