Stymied when trying to find a quick, easy, plentiful, healthy grab-and-go snack? Be stymied no more! This non-recipe recipe is modified from a Bon Appetit magazine tutorial I’d clipped years ago and finally managed to make.
- about a pound of pitted dates or prunes
- a tablespoon or so of water
- a bunch of dried cranberries and/or dried apricots and/or golden raisins
- a few handfuls of almonds or walnuts
- about a quarter cup of coconut flakes
- a tablespoon or so of unsweetened cocoa powder and a handful of chocolate chips (optional)
- Working your way down the ingredients list, whip up ingredients one at a time in the food processor until they form a ball. It'll be a bit sticky.
- Place parchment or waxed paper in an 8x8 pan and press the mixture into the pan. Wet your hands to help it spread more smoothly and stay in the pan - not on your fingers. Top with more shredded coconut or maybe some minced nuts. I let mine set in the fridge for an hour or so and found it was easier to cut into bars with that method.
- Cut into about 30+ bite-sized snacks. Store the sliced bites in a container on the counter or in the refrigerator.
What’s your favorite grab-and-go snack? How would you modify this recipe to pack in more nutrition and/or flavor?